by corinne iaia

November 03, 2014

SUBTLE COLOR FOR YOUR AUTUMN MAKEUP BAG


I am a neutral shade lover through and through, but when the cooler months roll around all of the neglected jewel-toned shades in my stash just seem to call out to me more. The royal blues, plummy shades, and even a few mossy greens are the ones I'm willing to venture toward when I'm having a more daring eye moment. For lips it's the wines, the berries, and the mauve hues that appeal the most to me, as they tend to look cozy-chic when paired with dreamy oversized knits. Any of you shade-afraid girls out there can trust me with my choice of color because I promise you, I can just as easily fall into that brown rut that we all know so well. This autumn is the time to come out of hiding and accentuate your feature of choice with a bit of subtle color, courtesy of this roundup.

For eyes it's all about the rich jewel tones that can be worn easily as they're just one step up the 'adventurous' ladder from a neutral eye. Think, golden and mossy greens like the Clinique Chubby Stick Shadow Tint for Eyes in Whopping Willow that will blend into the lids for a barely noticeable wash of color. A deep, blue-black shade a la Nars Soft Touch Shadow Stick in Dark Rite will give a smudgey smokey eye effect that makes peepers really stand out without being over the top. My personal favorite way to add color is in the form of royal purple shades. My picks are the Nars Soft Touch Shadow Pencil in Calabria or the Nars Dual Intensity Eyeshadow in Phoebe, which almost appears a brown-purple hybrid when blended out on the lids. Nars makes a great variety of shades that are neutral-lover friendly but add a little extra somethin' somethin' if you know what I mean.

For lips I can't help but gravitate toward berry reds, wine-stained washes, and mauves as I think they suit almost every look and every skin tone. Right now I'm loving the Revlon Colorstay Moisture Stain in Stockholm Chic for lips that look like you've been sipping red wine, but without the dreaded purple-tooth effect. One of my all time favorite mauves, which I'm sure is made evident by the amount gone from the bullet, is the Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet in L'Infidele. I'm not sure this shade is still available, but the creamy-matte texture of these lipsticks is pure genius especially if you're looking for a nude or pink color. If you're going for that 90's throwback that is so right now, then I'd suggest looking in the direction of the Bobbi Brown Lip Gloss and I especially love the shade Rose Sugar 3 for a wearable take on the look. 

How do you amp up your autumn makeup color spectrum without straying too far from the neutral look?
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. You had me at "dreamy oversized knits", lol! :) That Clinique Chubby Stick is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might have to try those NARS eye shadow sticks, I have been looking for something like that. Just a simple eye color to use to smoke out for the fall.

    Check out my beauty blog! http://www.fortunetellerfashion.com/2014/10/octobers-top-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wearing purple eyeshadows and berry lips during autumn, although I always always opt for a veeeerrry subtle shade of purple, and I think I'll have to try the nars shadow sticks you recommended!

    Yet Another Makeup Blog.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig