by corinne iaia

May 28, 2015

HOW TO: BUILD A MASK WARDROBE


Dealing with combination skin for as long as I can remember has resulted in the experimentation of many a skincare product. There really isn't just one product that does it all for me, and I find it best to target specific concerns with different products. One of the easiest and best ways to satisfy my need for instant gratification in terms of results is by using different face masks. I like to arm myself with at least one or two masks in each category of skincare concern I have - that way, I can prescribe myself with a particular mask to combat the area in which my skin needs a bit of a boost. It's a great way to learn what your skin needs, and makes life much easier the same way building a capsule wardrobe will. Here are the main (there are of course, endless varieties, some of which fall into multiple categories) mask categories you'll want to know about, who they're for, and some favorites from each: 

Clay Masks - Generally used for deep cleaning pores and removing excess oil. Clays, like kaolin and bentonite, also help to refine skin texture which make these types of masks great for those with combination to oily skin. A once a week application is a great way to keep things looking clear, refined, and breakout free. Some favorites include: Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleansing Masque, Origins Clear Improvements, Eve Lom Rescue Mask, LUSH Mask of Magnaminty

Moisturizing Masks - Skin feeling tight and dry? Then these are for you. Moisturizing masks often contain ingredients suited for sensitive (and obviously, dry) skin types, that will help soothe and calm the skin while in addition to quickly bringing the skin back to proper moisture levels. Also often referred to as replenishing masks, as they add nutrients back into the skin. Some favorites include: Aveda Intensive Hydrating Masque*, Clarins HydraQuench Cream-Mask, Glossier Moisturizing Moon Mask, Origins Drink Up.

Exfoliating/Radiance Masks - Removes any dead or dull skin to help brighten the skin and even its overall tone and surface texture. Exfoliating masks will help buff away dead skin, whether chemically or manually, leaving you with a fresh layer of skin. Radiance masks are similar in that they often contain manual exfoliants, but in combination with other acids and whitening ingredients to additionally help brighten and even texture. These are my personal favorite category of mask, as I feel removing dead skin and keeping things polished helps combat a wide variety of skin concerns including breakouts, dullness, clogged pores, and uneven skin texture.Some favorites include: Peter Thomas Roth Pumpkin Enzyme Mask, REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask, Elemis Papaya Enzyme Peel, Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask, NUDE Skincare Miracle Mask

Firming Masks - Targeted more toward mature skin, of course, but can be used by anyone seeking a quick youth-boost. Using one, which typically contain ingredients like collagen, and plant or fruit oils, will help to temporarily tighten and lift the look of skin by softening fine lines and wrinkles.Some favorites include: Murad Age-Diffusing Firming Mask, Mario Badescu Temporary Lifting Mask

Multi-Purpose Masks - For targeting multiple concerns at once, these types of masks can often be purifying and moisturizing, exfoliating and cleansing, or nutrient-rich and clarifying. I love these all because they save time and also help to dilute harsh ingredients with nourishing or moisturizing ingredients included as well. Some favorites include: Fresh Sugar Face Polish, Antipodes Aura Manuka Honey Mask, Aesop Parsley Seed Cleansing Masque, TULA Exfoliating Treatment Mask*

If you have normal skin, you're in luck because having one of each in your arsenal will be perfect for you - your skin can handle (and benefit from) just about anything in small doses. Just get in touch with your skin type and read what it needs most, and when. 
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. The Aveda mask looks interesting, is it like a gel? My skin can get very dry, I am always looking for new masks to fix the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to bulk up my mask collection! I have mostly clay masks but definitely want to get more moisturising and exfoliating ones! Origins drink up and REN glycolactic are on my wishlist!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I love masks, one of my favourite skincare items to collect! My faves are the Aesop parsley seed, Omorovicza thermal mask and I recently got the Caudalie moisturising mask and it's so lovely xx
    The Beauty Bloss

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just tried my deluxe sample of the tata harper mask this week, and i really liked it. I also want to try the elemis one (which i think i actually did try during a facial on my honeymoon last month lol)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig