by corinne iaia

October 19, 2015

MY MUST-HAVES FOR ENHANCING, NOT COVERING

I've been on a minimal makeup kick as of late, and have been tailoring my routine around lightweight, but effective products that bring the glow. There's been a general movement surrounding lightening up the makeup load, which I find to be a very refreshing change of pace from the overly contoured cheeks of some unnamed celebs. There are a few brands who have laid the foundation of this movement, one of my favorites being Glossier, a major inspiration behind this post, and the voice of the "skin is in" mantra. This is a makeup trend I think we should all get behind...

The Prep - Of course, clean, fresh, and dewy skin are the basis of a routine that allows you to focus on enhancing instead of covering. It's true that in order for skin to look its best you have to look after it...all the time. But there are also things you can do that don't take much additional effort (pretend I didn't say that), that you do see immediate results from. 

I'm a mask fiend, and especially love the Glossier Moisturizing Moon Mask during the fall when skin conditions are looking a bit more lackluster. This mask has an almost bouncy-cream texture, but more importantly it instantly boosts radiance and moisture. After using, I like to seal in all the goodness in with a milky spritz of the Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist, which has more of a lasting effect than most spray toners. As someone with combination skin, I'm always looking for a moisturizer that absorbs immediately and helps to prep the skin so that tons of makeup isn't necessary. The Glossier Priming Moisturizer does just that, all while giving my skin a silky smooth and plump feel. The best part is it sinks in immediately and cuts down any redness I have. Just a fair warning, this stuff is addicting...you'll want to have backups around.

The Makeup - Once I've prepped my base with my favorite skin-enhancing potions and lotions, I go in with a few makeup products that really help to further enhance the glow factor. It's so important not to go overboard here, because even someone with absolutely flawless skin will look overdone and lackluster with layers of foundation on. 

Once I discovered that breathable products were the secret to youthful and glowy (not-greasy) skin, I haven't gone back to fuller-coverage foundations, unless used sparingly. For daytime, the Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint is perfect; it's more like a fluid tint than a foundation and gives just the right amount of coverage so that things look even, but still natural. I also love the finish that this gives, it's dewy in a satin-like way and it's obvious that it's working with your skin, not against it. I find that later on in the day no product has settled into crevices and lines, like heavier products tend to do. 

Cream blush and luminizer have become must-haves for me as well. I apply the Tata Harper Volumizing Lip & Cheek Tint in Very Vivacious on the apples of my cheeks for a radiant flush, and then tap her Very Illuminating Highlight into any areas I want to make more prominent, like  my cheekbones and the inner corner of my eyes. I tend to keep these with me all day as well, because I find they work as a beautiful complexion pick me up instead of adding additional layers of powder or concealer. 

The rest of my routine is pretty simple; I swipe a creamy bronze shade of shadow across my lids and apply a colored balm or moisturizing lipstick for a hint of color. Lately I've been hooked on the Burberry Eye Colour Cream in Mink, an easy-to-apply bouncy powder, and the Ilia Lip Conditioner in Bang Bang, which gives a sheer wash of color that mimics that of freshly-fallen autumn leaves.

What are your must-haves for enhancing, not covering? If you're interested in snatching up a few of my essentials from this post, head to Glossier's site and get shopping.

*pr samples included.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig