by corinne iaia

February 03, 2016

THE BASE WARDROBE

It's been awhile since I've rounded up my best of bases - and because I've seemingly culled them from just about everywhere over the past few months this post is definitely past due. Foundations are one of my favorite products to test and experiment with, and like skincare, I like to have a variety on hand for different occasions and skin conditions. Of course, this post would have veered into dangerous territory length-wise if I didn't practice some sort of restraint, so these are the products I've been reaching for most often this winter. I've broken them down into two sections...

THE LIGHTWEIGHTS - These bases are what I slap on when I'm having a relatively good skin day, but want to even things out and look better than natural (supernatural?). Their generally light in texture and skin-like in nature, which is what I love about them. 
  • For Coverage with Benefits - I love the IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Color Correcting Full Coverage Cream. This might be lightweight in texture, but it packs a punch in the coverage department. It moisturizes my skin and makes things look fresh and glowy without any shimmer in sight.
  • For A Satin Glow - The Laura Mercier Candleglow Soft Luminous Foundation confuses a bit with its name, but I'd call it more of a satin glow than anything else. It's very light on the coverage spectrum - but it gives a fresh, comfortable, and smooth finish that seems to airbrush pores and give the skin a natural look. It sets down to a satin finish that's actually just the right amount of matte...which is perfect for daily wear.
  • For A Skin-Like Finish - Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder Perfect Skin Foundation finishes the skin with a hit of illumination, line-blurring, and pore minimizing coverage. The formula stimulates collagen and lasts extremely well for such a lightweight product. Whenever I'm in a rush and unsure of which foundation I want to wear I'll reach for this. It's one of those you know you can rely on to make you look awake and bright-eyed.
  • For Moisture - The Givenchy Teint Couture Blurring Foundation Balm sits somewhere between a foundation and BB cream. It's moisturizing and definitely brings that dewy finish that BB Creams tend to, but it also gives a bit more correction in terms of color. It somehow brings a certain light to the skin without a trace of shimmer. I'm also a huge fan of how it makes skin feel so plumped and bouncy. 
THE COVERAGE-GIVERS - Whether it's dinner, a date, or I just need your base to really bring it in the coverage department - this is my bevy of perfecting bases. I usually like to blend these products well into the skin, so I'm always sure to choose products that cover without masking natural skin.
  • For A Filter-esque Matte - Giorgio Armani Maestro Fusion Makeup is the perfect mixture of oils and pigment that melts right into skin as though there's nothing there at all. It's the thinnest-coverage giving product I've yet to come across and I love the immediate effects. It mattifies in the most natural, non-flat way possible. My one qualm is that it does need topping up late afternoon...a sacrifice I'm willing to make with this one.
  • For Lit-From-Within Radiance - Burberry Fresh Glow Fluid Foundation is the guy for you. The coverage is there and there is a bit of shimmer running throughout, but nothing to have you looking like a disco-ball. It's more of a lit-from-within radiance that looks amazingly dewy blended lightly over the skin. I recommend powdering your t-zone with this one...but I love the refreshing scent of lavender and rose.
  • For A Long-Lasting Base - Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Stay-In-Place Makeup is guaranteed to stay in place as long as you need it to. I like that it maintains that non-cakey look even though it does pack a punch in the coverage and longevity department. The smallest amount of this will smooth right over any and all imperfections and leave skin with a comfortable finish you can count on.
  • For A Creamy Skin Treat - A real luxury; La Prairie Skin Caviar Concealer and Foundation. This foundation is like your best skincare married your perfect foundation. All you need is a tiny amount of this whipped and creamy base to cover skin weightlessly. It also contains a matching concealer in the lid which gives under eye bags a serious run for their money. It keeps my skin hydrated all day long so that when it comes time to remove it, things feel nourished and as though I just had a facial. I reserve this for special occasions as it really is a special product.


*pr samples included.
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig