by corinne iaia

April 21, 2016

BYREDO LA SÉLECTION FLORALE

Byredo is one of my favorite fragrance brands at the moment. Every new launch and fragrance story they product really speaks to me, and I love how so many of the scents are either deeply rooted in history or Ben Gorham's personal memories. I have personally tried 4 of his scents prior to this set, and loved them all, Gypsy Water being my favorite. I wanted to take a deeper plunge into the brand and La Sélection Florale was the perfect way to try each - not to mention, these .4 oz (about 100 sprays) sprays work amazingly for travel. I love the idea of bringing a new scent on each trip, as then that fragrance becomes a part of the memory that you can return to whenever you please. Here are my thoughts on the six fragrances included...

Inflorescence - This scent is like spring in a bottle. It's like a burst of flowers, in a fresh and airy way, without any green side to it at all. The freesia and lily are the most prominent notes to me at first and the dry down is also truly floral, with a base of jasmine that smells true to the flower itself. 

Top notes: Pink Freesia, Rose Petals. Middle Notes: Lily of the Valley, Magnolia. Base Notes: Fresh Jasmine.

Bal D'Afrique - Such a unique and amazing fragrance. There is somewhat of an addictive quality to this sweet scent that keeps me coming back for more. It smells very fruity and citrusy when first sprayed, but in a very sophisticated way, and I love the musky, vetiver dry-down that meshes with the fruit to form an almost pineapple-like concoction. I think it's sexy in an unconventional way and the lasting power is pretty great here as well.

Top notes: African Marigold, Bergamot, Bucchu, Lemon, Neroli. Middle Notes: Cyclamen, Jasmine Petals, Violet. Base Notes: Black Amber, Moroccan Cedarwood, Musk, Vetiver.

Blanche - To me this fragrance epitomizes cleanliness. It smells of soapy skin and fresh laundry with notes of white florals. It's innocent and airy - like a breeze on an early spring day. I think this is such a pretty and feminine fragrance that is both unobtrusive and personal.

Top notes: Aldehyde, Pink Pepper, White Rose. Middle Notes: Neroli, Peony, Violet. Base Notes: Blond Woods, Musk, Sandalwood.

Flowerhead - Inspired by an Indian wedding, this is a scent that's bursting with fresh-cut flowers and I, for one, think it's transportive and beautiful. I'm not normally a fan of tuberose, but here it smells much more watery rather than musty, as it mixes well with the other floral notes and reminds me of a fresh bouquet. Instead of the typical floral containing tuberose and jasmine, this is a blend with green rose, cranberry, and lemon which adds a beautiful herbal dimension. It's love with this one. 

Top notes: Angelica Seeds, Lingonberry, Sicilian Lemon. Middle Notes: Dewy Tuberose, Rose Petals, Wild Jasmine Sambac. Base Notes: Fresh Amber, Suede.

Rose of No Man's Land - The newest fragrance addition to the Byredo lineup, this is a unique rose fragrance that I've quickly become fond of. It's a different type of rose fragrance than I'm used to - in the best way possible. The roses in this fragrance smell very fresh to me, almost fruity, and more similar to how they do in nature, with a very green and almost grassy side. What I love about it is how it has a pepper note, which works so well here and it eventually settles onto my skin in a soft, creamy rose, thanks to the amber note. This is such a dreamy spring fragrance I may have to even pick up the full size soon...

Top notes: Pink Pepper, Turkish Rose Petals. Middle Notes: Raspberry Blossom, Turkish Rose Absolute. Base Notes: Papyrus, White Amber. 

La Tulipe -  Based on the first blooming flower of spring, the tulip - this scent is meant to represent the flower whose fragrance is said to be hardly noticeable. Here it smells very clear, crisp, and almost sunny in a way that portrays all aspects of the flower; the waxy green of the leaves, the earthiness of the bulb, and the fresh floral of the petals. It's light and clean in the same respect as Blanche, but in a more floral sense.

Top notes: Cyclamen, Freesia, Rhubarb. Middle Notes: Tulip. Base Notes: Blonde Woods, Vetiver.

Which of Byredo's florals appeals most to you?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig