by corinne iaia

April 18, 2016

DIY MARBLE TRAY

I've been searching high and low for the perfect marble tray for ages now. Pinterest has me dreaming of crisp Scandinavian-inspired interiors, but finding the right pieces is harder than I could've ever imagined (insert world's tiniest violin symphony here). I've spotted a few I liked before, but really - is a slab of plain marble with handles worth a $300 price tag? I'd rather fill it with pretty objects from Byredo, Le Labo, and Diptyque, thank you very much. So, to save myself the rather large wad of cash, I'd been using plain marble tiles and pieces I picked up from the Home Depot (glamorous, I know) - but was still unhappy with how unfinished it looked. Little did I know, I could create my own for just a small fraction of the price, in just a few minutes, and with the exact look I wanted. So the way I see it, I've saved enough money making this myself to fill it with at least one more luxe scent...you with me?

Here's how I did it - it's so easy, you'll be making them for every corner of your home. You'll need:
1 piece of marble (tiles from my local hardware store cost about $4)
2 cabinet handles/pulls of your choice
4 vinyl bumpers
epoxy glue

Flip your piece of marble upside down and stick one vinyl bumper on each corner. This will just prevent the piece of marble from sliding around (or scratching surfaces) when it's placed down and give it a more finished look. Then, flip it over and measure where you'd like your handles to go and mark it with a Sharpie, while you mix your epoxy glue. Now, use a toothpick to apply the glue to the bottom of each handle and place them down on the piece of marble where you've just marked. Viola! Allow the glue to dry for at least 4 hours to make sure it won't budge. While you're patiently waiting, you can browse online for items to fill this wonderful tray you've just made.

You can use this to store perfumes, trinkets, candles, fancy lotions and potions, spirits, or as a cheese plate. Here are some items I've placed on mine (or would like to): Le Labo Santal 33, Diptyque Candle, Byredo Bohemia Candle, Byredo Gypsy Water, Byredo Bullion, Byredo Flowerhead Body Lotion, Moleskine Voyageur, David Yurman Amethyst Albion Earrings
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig